Thursday, August 20, 2009

Technology Gone Mad

Late last night I received a phone call from my friend Kerri, who some of you know from University. Kerri broke the news to me that two very special people were killed in a tragic accident yesterday afternoon. I was left in shock and unable to concentrate as the meaning of all this sunk in. What makes this especially tragic for me is that I was related to these special people.

I met up with Kerri this morning for a coffee and to console each other, when she told me that her daughter found out about the deaths on facebook. I was again shocked and left speechless, as the reality of the digital age set in. Technology definitely has its place in society and education, however I feel that students should be taught that digital is not always the way to go. Information of such a sensitive nature should be broken in a much more dignified and gentle way.


We are teaching Netiquette, what about etiquette.

That is my technological gripe for this year.

Kellie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kellie,

    It has been a long couple of days hasn't it. I know our comments are not to be just ' i agree' but i agree with you totally. In my personal opinion, the good old fashioned manners and valued morales of etiquette need to be a top priority.

    x Kerri.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerri,

    I am just not sure if this is ever going to happen in the future of the next generations. I think things will get worse and not better with regards to this type of communication.

    Don't get me wrong, technology is great, I guess it just gets me down that some of the old fashioned values are lost, and I am not sure if this is just because I am a didital immigrant either.

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete