This technology can be applied as an individual learning tool which provides a social network from which a student can collaboratively learn, or as an in-class cooperative tool. The functionally of this technology provides a fantastic engagement and serious learning tool where students can attain a folio of relevant, topical information, building on their prior knowledge, and acquiring new knowledge.
The following unit structure has been adapted to incorporate the use of a Wiki in a year 2 classroom. The unit would be primarily implemented within the classroom allowing time for students to periodically use the computers to post their thoughts and comments with regards to the content. Considering the children are in grade two, the wiki and content would be kept simple and used in conjunction with variety of in-class learning tools. The interaction with technology and collaborative learning is the priority focus when using the Wiki.
Unit - Where will Dreamtime take us
Year Level - Two
Ways of Working:
Knowledge and Understanding:
Time, continuity and change -
- Contributions of individuals and groups to communities can be identified by symbols and stories
Place and space -
- Local environments are distinguished by natural features, places of importance to particular groups, and public spaces
- Writers and designers can adopt different roles for different audiences
- Students to find out about Deamtime legends through digital storytelling and listening to books
- Use a KWL to investigate knowledge of Dreamtime and geography
- Provide explanations about Wiki's and how they are going to be used in this unit
- Listen to guest speaker - A local Indigenous story teller to tell a Dreamtime story.
- Students to create a solution - 'How do we keep Dreamtime alive'.
- Post solution on the class wiki.
- Provide ongoing questions for students to encourage comments and collaborative learning on the Wiki. Such as: What do you think Dreamtime is?, Why is Dreamtime so important to indigenous people? Do you like Dreamtime stories and why? If you were to write a Dreamtime story what would it be about? If you were to go on a Dreamtime holiday, what places would you like to visit (in Australia)?
- Write a sentence in answer to this question on the Wiki - How can we help to keep the idea of Dreamtime alive?
- Comment and add your view or extra information to you friends postings.
- Write a Dreamtime story on a word document which will be printed out as a class book.
- Provide link for Wiki to parents to view their child's participation and learning.
The previous outline provided basic concepts, which when implemented in class would require instruction on wiki guidelines, netiquette, and Internet safety.
Queensland Studies Authority (QSA). Queensland Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Framework. Spring Hill, QLD, Australia: The office of the Queensland Studies Authority.
Mindel, J., Verma, S.(2006). Citing computer references. Retrieved August 1, 2009, fromhttp://.simplypsychology.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/vygotsky.html
Siemens, G. (2004). Citing computer references. Retrieved July 18, 2009, fromhttp://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivesm.htm